With nearly 300 years of history, La Villita offers many unique tales and is considered a cornerstone piece of San Antonio’s foundation. Although the “little village” now wears the hat of a cultural art hub, it has served as home, refuge and opportunity for people throughout the ages. As you walk through the cobble stoned streets, take a moment to embrace the evolution of La Villita. 




The roots of La Villita Historic Arts Village go back to the 18th century. Its first residents likely were squatters with no legal title to the land. South of Mission San Antonio de Valero (later known as the Alamo), along the banks of the San Antonio River, the area was part of the mission's lower farmlands, or Labores de Abajo. The proximity of the military at the Presidio San Antonio de Béjar offered protection from Indian raids and allowed people to build their houses, raise their crops and graze their animals in peace. In 1809 La Villita, the Villa de San Fernando, the Presidio San Antonio de Béjar and the surrounding missions formed the town that would become San Antonio. 




During the Texas war for independence from Mexico, La Villita became the site of revolutionary activity. On November 2, 1835, La Villita resident Samuel A. Maverick, who later became one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, wrote "nothing done today, but a little firing at long distances and without effect, at the picket guards of the Mexicans in the edge of La Villita." Tradition maintains that General Martín Perfecto de Cos, a brother-in-law of Mexico's President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, surrendered to the Texan commander, General Edward Burleson, after the five-day Siege of Bexar in December 1835 at the Villita Street building today called the [Cos House].




Peace did not bring stability to San Antonio. The threat of Mexican invasion and Indian raids continued. One traveler noted: "A few American families that resided here have all abandoned the place in consequence of war difficulties. There being only 20 or 30 young Americans there who are continually moving out and back as the chances of invasion ebb and flow." 

The 3,488 residents of San Antonio in 1850 were a multicultural lot, but Mexicans, Americans and Germans dominated the scene. Noted landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, during his 1857 visit to San Antonio, remarked that "the triple nationalities break out into the most amusing display." Living side by side with the three dominant groups were slaves and people of Irish, French and English ancestry.

By the late 1870s La Villita was thriving. The neighborhood was home to stonecutters, watchmakers, telegraph operators, cabinetmakers and lawyers. Boardinghouse and saloon keepers, dressmakers, doctors and shoemakers all plied their trades in the area. San Antonio's population grew from 12,200 in 1870 to 20,500 a decade later, and increasing numbers of both renters and owner-occupants made their homes in the La Villita neighborhood.


torn paper texture on top of the cta



We would like to hear from you! Send us your questions and comments. 

CONTACT US yellow arrow